Professional Development Knowledge Exchange
Chair: DeLila Bergan
This committee meets monthly via teleconference. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss ways to promote elder mediation and to support other elder mediators in this practice. Are you interested in growing your elder mediation practice? To find out more about this committee and the meeting schedule email section co-chair Joan Braun at email@example.com
This year the elder mediation section plans to host at last two webinars for elder mediators. These webinars will be on topic of interest to mediators working in this area. Stay tuned for more information.
The Elder Mediation Section is very proud of its history and for making a significant contribution to the development to the elder mediation field when the field was very early in its development. These are three of the projects we were involved in during the early years of the section.
Elder Caring Coordination Pilot Project
Eldercaring coordination is modeled after parenting coordination. In 2012 Linda Fieldstone, former President of AFCC and AFCC Task Force on Parenting Coordination secretary, approached Sue Bronson, Co-Chair of the ACR Elder Section, to explore developing a dispute resolution process for high conflict cases related to the care and safety of elders similar to Parenting Coordination. The ACR sponsored Task Force on Eldercaring Coordination was created in January 2013. A representative of the elder mediation section sat on the task force.
Over a two-year period Guidelines for Eldercaring Coordination were developed, training was delivered to new eldercaring coordinators and the pilot project was rolled out in five states. The Eldercaring Coordination Guideline can be found on the Resources Page.
Training Standards Committee
The Training Standards Committee was a section subcommittee that developed and promoted professional standards of elder mediation training in order to advance quality practice, and to provide resources and information to assist trainers to meet these standards. Committee members were: Sue Bronson, Susan Butterwick, Judy Denenholz, Susan Hartman, Ellie Crosby Lanier, Barbara Manousso, Resa Eisen and Carolyn Rhodis. Materials developed by the committee can be found on the resources page.
In 2010-2012 a very active program committee delivered a series of workshops on elder mediation. These educational sessions were useful to many mediators entering the new and developing field of elder mediation. Examples of teleseminar topics delivered in that time period include:
• So You're Considering Becoming an Elder Mediator: Elder Mediation ABCs, presented by Susan Butterwick, Dana Curtis, Arline Kardasis, and Carolyn Rodis.
• Marketing Your Elder Mediation Practice, presented by national recognized trainer Forrest "Woody" Mosten.
• Family Group Decision Making and Elder Mediation, presented by Catherine Tombom and Karen Largent.
• Working With Older Persons In Mediation: Diversity Training Objectives and Commentary, presented by Sue Bronson.
• Working With Professionals From Other Disciplines, presented by Dana Curtis, Lani Blazer, and Cathy Cress.
• What If No One Wants To Talk? Navigating Aging Challenges Through Conflict Coaching, presented by Katherina Dress and Janice Wallace.
• Eldercare Stress: A Family Balancing Act, presented by Cynthia Benzler.